Weight: 155 pounds
Started: Kiteboarding since 1999
A little bit about me...
I was born in Vail, Colorado and lived most of my life in the mountains. At the age of three my parents put me on my first pair of skis. My father was one of the pioneers who started the evolution of freestyle skiing, not to mention, was in a James Bond movie, an amateur and pro racer and participated in many more skiing accomplishments. My cousin raced for the US Ski Team as well so I guess skiing was in my blood from birth. I fell in love with skiing right away. My older brother Ray was there by my side on my first days doing every challenging activity that we could think of. Whether it was motocross, rock climbing, skiing, biking, cliff jumping, soccer, or anything that could draw blood, we did it all. I joined the ski teams from Sun Valley ID, Vail CO, Steamboat CO, Big Sky MT to Alyeska, Alaska. I just dedicated my life to ski racing. As I got older I traveled the country competing in ski races all over seeing some of the most beautiful mountains you could ever imagine. I traveled most of the time with my older brother and my parents who were all very big inspirations to me.
At the age of ten we left on a family adventure to Alaska. My father was always there for my brother and me. We started a fishing camp on the Talachilitna River 100 miles northwest of Anchorage in the middle of the bush. It was a fly-in flyfishing river camp and it was the best bonding a family could have. My brother and I became fly fishing guides at a very young age. We would take guests fishing and show them a true Alaskan experience. For our family it was a wonderful exciting time living our summers on a river working and fishing. Daily we had bears, salmon, river floats, float planes coming and going and a life only one could dream about really. As you can imagine, flying entered our lives and with it a desire to become pilots so the boys in our family all got their pilots licenses which was a real thrill.
In the winter we would head back to Anchorage where my brother and I would train and race at Alyeska, which is a great ski mountain in Alaska. As my skiing career kicked off, I moved all over, skiing places like Vail, Steamboat, Big Sky, Sun Valley, Mt Hood and all being some of the best ski areas in the United States. As I was giving everything I had into skiing, I spent half the summers training in Mt Hood, Oregon skiing for several summers and the other half in Alaska helping the family run the fly fishing business. I was a young kid living the life, home schooling, fishing, motocross, rock climbing, mountain biking and having a very cool family, "life was good”. As I got a little older my skiing was finally hitting on all cylinders. Then the set backs in life came along as well. I struggled with knee surgery after knee surgery and sitting out recouping in the mountains was not possible so I went to Florida and I found myself in Naples, Florida. One winter after a double knee surgery a new adventure started. I had seen kiteboarding with my parents in Hood River, Oregon in the summers when I needed a break from skiing up on the glacier. In Florida I started to dabble with this new sport of Kiteboarding. Like skiing in a couple of months, I was hooked and I went full on and devoted my life to it. A couple of years later I established myself as one of the top kiteboarders in the world.
“Now here I am talking to you!”
I am so blessed as my kiting career has taken me to places like, Israel, Australia, Greece, all over Europe, Honduras, Brazil, most islands in the Caribbean and many more. In the past 7 years I have been on the podium in many different disciplines in our sport from freestyle to course racing to speed and slalom racing. La st year wrapped up with incredible highs being selected the World Kiteboarder Of The Year and ending up Slalom World Champion. In addition to the year of competing and traveling I helped in Santander, Spain showcase our sport of kite racing in front of the Olympic committee. As its always been my dream to have Kiteboarding in the Olympics. Giving the youth a better chance of a great life in this incredible sport.
With the best Sponsors in the world. I would never be where I am without them. They have supported me and shown me ways to grow. I am very grateful for their support and certainly could not have accomplished what I did without their support.
I find it funny, as you get older, you really start to see things differently. Winning is not the drive any more as it is the challenge that gets the blood pumping and the overall enjoyment and challenge of the experience. Life is such a gift. I am so grateful for every day and every new experience.
Thank you all...... Damo
- 2016 2nd Place Miami Kite Masters Racing Miami, Florida
- 2015 1st Place Miami Kite Masters Racing Miami, Flroida
- 2015 1st Place Miami Kite Masters Freestyle, Miami Florida
- 2014 1st Place Miami Kite Masters Racing Miami, Florida
- 2014 2nd Place Miami Kite Masters Freestyle Miami, Florida
- 2014 2nd Place San Juan Foil Cup, San Juan, Puerto Rico
- 2014 2nd Place East Cast Foil Championships Shelter Island, NY
- 2014 5th Place Gold Cup Kite Foil Townsville, Australia
- 2o14 2nd Place Eastern SUP Surf circuit Jensen Beach, FL
- 2013 2nd Place North American Speed Sailing Championships Invitational Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts
- 2013 3rd kite Mondial Du Vent, "sosh cup" Leucate, France
- 2012 New Hawaiian Speed Rcord 44.33 knots!!
- 2012 Personal best Speed "51.99 Knots" In Speed racing.....
- 2012 2nd Place North American Speed Sailing Championships Invitational Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts
- 2012 3rd Place World Championships Speed, Port St. Louie, France
- 2012 2nd Place Freestyle, La Ventana, Mexico
- 2012 3rd Place Crossing, La Ventana, Mexico
- 2012 1st Place Racing, Kite Masters Miami, Florida
- 2012 2nd Place Freestyle, Kite Masters Miami, Florida
- 2011 SLALOM WORLD CHAMPION Mucia, Spain
- 2011 KITESURFING ATHLETE OF THE YEAR!!
- 2011 3rd Place North American Continentals, Puerto Rico
- 2011 1st Place, Course Racing, La Ventana, Mexico
- 2011 2nd Place, Freestyle, La Ventana, Mexico
- 2011 2nd Place, Crossing, La Ventana, Mexico
- 2011 2nd Place Course Racing, Lord of the Wind, Los Barriles, Mexico
- 2011 2nd Place Big Air, Lord of the Wind, Los Barriles, Mexico
- 2010 1st Place Kite Masters, Tampa Bay, Florida
- 2010 Carribean Course Racing Champion!
- 2010 2nd World Championships Course Racing!
- 2010 Top five in the world for speed!
- 1st Overall, Muskegon, Michigan King of the great lakes 2009
- 4th Overall, San Francisco, California Course Racing World Championships 2009
- 4th Overall, Port St. Louis, France Kite speed World Championships 2009
- 2nd Overall, Corpus Christi, Texas US National's 2009.
- 2nd·Jupiter Florida, Jupiter kite Invasion Freestyle 2009.
- 2nd Tampa, Florida, Tampa bay Downwind race 2009.
- 1st·Place·Crandon·Beach,·Miami Masters·kiteboarding 2008 and 2009
- 1st·Overall,·National·Champion·San·Francisco,·California Course·Racing·2008.·
- 1st·Overall·Hood·River,·Oregon Big·Air·Champion Gorge Games 2008.
- 2nd Hood River, Oregon Course Racing Gorge Games 2008.
- 3rd Hood River, Oregon Freestyle Gorge Games 2008.
- 1st·Place·Corpus·Christi,·Texas South·West·Course·Racing 2008.
- 1st·Place·Naples,·Florida Pier·to·pier·downwind·race·2008.
- 1st Overall Champion Hookipa, Hawaii King of The Air 2004.
- 3 time defending champion Jupiter, Florida Jupiter Kite Invasion 2005,2007,2008.
- 1st Place Hatteras, North Carolina Freestyle Triple S Event 2007.
- 2nd Overall Hatteras, North Carolina Triple S Event 2007.
- 1st Place San Francisco, California Boarder cross, Big Air Jam 2007
- Pro Athlete
- Fly-fishing guide in Alaska for five years
- Chef for 4 years!
- Sales Representative
- Bar Tender, Waiter
- Team Manger
- Marketing Development
- Movie Stunts
Now into Powered Paragliding, tow in surfing, everything life has to offer!
TV & Movie Accomplishments
TV & Movie Accomplishments
- 2017 Paramount Pictures "Baywatch' Hollywood movie
- 2016 Outside Television TV show "Locals"
- 2016 Creative Live/GoPro production
- 2008 Brooke Knows Best reality show, CO STAR
- 2008 FOX Gorge games coverage, Event winner 2008
- Others: Fuel TV, ESPN, France, Spain
- Metropolis Dvd
- In To The Air, Dvd
- Life ETC, Dvd
- Lines, Dvd
- WindReels Volume 1, Dvd
- New World Order, Dvd
- CNN 2011
- Jet Blue Airlines kiteboarding clip